Excessive internet use exhibits all the hallmarks of an addiction.
But how do you know if you are truly addicted?
Here are some of the signs your internet use is heading that way:
- You can’t use the internet moderately.
- You often spend more time online than planned.
- You vow to quit but just can’t.
- You feel irritable when you don’t have internet access.
- Your internet use is jeopardizing your relationships with friends and family.
- You feel guilty or defensive about the amount of time you spend online.
- You lie about or hide your habit from others.
- You are ignoring other important areas of your life — relationships, career, hobbies, or taking care of yourself.
Physical signs you are spending too much time online include eye strain, wrist pain and numbness, headaches, back pain, changes in weight, or insomnia.
Do any of these sound like you?
If you still aren’t sure, you can take a free online internet addiction test compiled by internet addiction pioneer Dr. Kimberly Young.