How to Avoid Anxiety in the Morning? Detailed Guide
While on the one side we are happy about the medical progress happening around the world, on the other hand, we have to accept that the number of new health problems is on the rise consistently. Thanks to the inactive lifestyles and unhealthy diets, people are getting used to. One such recent health problem is morning anxiety. Morning panic attacks and nausea follow this problem. You feel very anxious when you get up in the morning, and there is an unexplainable discomfort in your body and mind. In this article, you will learn what morning anxiety is all about, how to identify the causes and way to get rid of it.
What is Morning Anxiety all about?
Do you feel stressed, tensed or worried as soon as you wake up in the morning? If yes, you are experiencing morning anxiety. Until now, there is no specific medical approach to this health problem nor is there any particular cause attributed to it. According to doctors, anxiety and nausea in the morning are more when a person suffers from GAD (generalized anxiety disorders). If you have a persistent worry about your life, work, and other commitments, you are likely to experience morning panic attacks as soon as you wake up.
Why is Anxiety Worse in the Morning?
Every human being reacts to a particular situation in a different way. While some people are mentally stable, others are not. Those who aren’t prepared for the adversities, get easily into panic mode when they actually face them in real life. Their fear, worry, stress, tension and anxiety feelings are triggered by the slightest change in their lives. When the person is already under immense pressure, the stress hormone, cortisol, is in full flow. It has been proved medically that CAR (cortisol awakening response) is very high (in fact, highest in a day!) in the first hour of waking up. This means this is the time when the stress hormone performs to its fullest potential, putting you under immense anxiety and stress. This is the reason for your early morning anxiety problem. When you are stressed early in the morning, you should have a close watch on your diet and sleeping habits. Most of the people worry about their work or money or kids or other things before they go to bed. Even when they sleep, their mind keeps processing various thoughts in the background, and thus they feel tensed throughout the night. These people are more likely to feel stressed as soon as they wake up than others who have had a deep sleep. Also, when you are feeling tensed or worried after you have woken up, you should avoid caffeine or any other beverage that contains sugar. This is because caffeine and sugar have the potential to increase your stress hormone’s performance to a great extent.
Symptoms of Panic Attacks
Symptoms of panic attacks
How do you know that you are waking up with anxiety issues? Watch out for one or more of these symptoms:
You feel very irritable and angry when you wake up
You don’t want to wake up, but you don’t want to sleep also
You don’t feel fresh at all; instead, you feel exhausted as soon as you wake up because of a night full of disturbed sleep
You find it difficult to breathe normally, and you experience palpitations (increased heartbeat rate)
Your muscles become tense, and you feel that the area around your chest becomes tight; these are also evident symptoms of a panic attack
You lose track of where you are when you wake up because your mind is too slow to process any information
You feel worried and nervous as soon as you wake up, but you cannot do anything to control it
You feel dizziness and nausea
You experience trembling, tingling or numbness in your fingers
Morning Anxiety Cure
If you are thinking about how to get rid of morning anxiety, the below-mentioned approaches would be of great use for you:
1. Psychotherapy – Nothing works better than talk and behavioral therapies. Here, experts will address you and discuss various strategies with you to reduce your stress levels, depending on your current medical condition. You will be provided with a package of exercises and activities that will help you fight off stress and lead a calm lifestyle.
2. Lifestyle Changes – This is required if you want to get rid of panic attacks as soon as you wake up. You have to bring about an overall change in your lifestyle. You have to start doing physical activity like running, walking, jogging, gym, etc. You should also enroll yourself in mental exercises classes. Meditation, yoga, learning new skills or languages, etc. are some ways in which you can keep your mind occupied and stress-free. You should eat and sleep well to reduce the amount of stress that you are exposed to.
3. Breathing Exercises – While you take the help of therapy and physical activity, you shouldn’t ignore the simple home remedies that can make a lot of difference in your lives. Practice deep breathing techniques every day, as soon as you wake up, to bring calmness to your mind and increase your focus on your daily tasks.
4. Stop Negativity – Count your blessings always, and that’s the best way to remain positive in your life. Note down the good things that happened to you that day and strive to smile more. Happiness is infectious. When you are positive and happy, the people around you remain happy as well. This will help in increased productivity at your workplace. It will help you maintain good relationships with your colleagues as well.
5. Improve your social life – One of the best ways to avoid stress is to become more social. Meet new people and go on vacations with your family. Spend a lot of time with beloved ones. This will help you unwind correctly. Taking some time off to do the things that you love enables you to remain refreshed and energetic. In simple words, learn to enjoy life by appreciating the smallest of things. It is these little things that make a huge difference in our lives.
6. Structure your Sleeping Pattern – Ensure that you got to bed at the same time every day for improved sleeping. Keep your bedroom cozy enough so that you feel sleepy as soon as you go to bed. Stay away from electronic devices when you are in bed. To have a deep sleep, you are less likely to feel anxious or stressed when you wake up the next day.
7. Maintain Blood Sugar Levels – More often than not, you feel eager and stress in the morning when your blood sugar levels are deficient. Your brain makes use of this sugar (glucose) for sending signals to the other parts of the body. When you are low on glucose, stress hormones increase, resulting in panic attacks in you.
8. Wake Up Early – It is highly recommended that you wake up by 6 AM and go for a walk or do something that you like. When you wake up early, you have time to devote to yourself, which reduces stress levels gradually.
9. Cold Shower – Regardless of how cold the water is, try a cold shower every day as soon as you wake up. Yes, it might be difficult in the beginning, but you will find phenomenal results within three months. The cold water has a natural relaxing feature, and it improves blood circulation as well. The tightened muscles around your neck and shoulders begin to relax, and you will start waking up fresh every morning.
10. Prioritization – This is an effective way to reduce your stress and anxiety levels early in the morning. Make a list of the ten most important things that you have to do for the day as soon as you wake up. List out only those tasks that have to be urgently completed on the same day. Prioritize on these so that your mind isn’t too clustered with unimportant tasks. When you have a structure of your day, your stress levels drop automatically.
When you are suffering from morning anxiety, it might be tough to explain your problem to others. You feel tensed and worry for no reason at all, and you cannot deliver your thoughts clearly. Eat and sleep well and follow a healthy lifestyle to get rid of these early morning panic attacks. It may sound simple, but that’s all it takes to get back happy and positive morning. Enjoy life and participate in many outdoor activities instead of spending most of your time with your electronic devices. Say goodbye to your inactive lifestyle and get up on your feet right now and do something that's important and beneficial to you and people around. You will be pleasantly surprised that your morning anxiety issue has gone off forever.